Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 August 2011

Welcome!

So. I am about to embark on an adventure. A move to the USA for an unspecified amount of time.

It's funny. Everyone always asks how long it is we will be going out there. Its not a fixed contract its a permanent job. However, the visa is for 3 years to start off with and will then be renewed. We may be back after a year... we may not. I can't possibly think of it as forever. I can't imagine saying I would live anywhere forever.

So why have I started a blog? There are many reasons. Firstly it's a way to ensure that all my friends and family all over the world have a way of knowing what's going on but there are other reasons such as wanting to have records to look back on.

USA is not a new thing for me at all. I have been there before... many times. BUT I have never lived there.

10 years ago I worked for three months on a summer camp out there, went on a road trip with my family, brother and a friend in 2004, then there was the trip to Florida in 2006. In 2007 we went again, got married in Las Vegas and had a cheeky 10 day honeymoon 5 months later in Miami and the Keys. It does not end there.... in 2009 we had a 3 week California road trip and also stopped off in California and Hawaii when we did our round the world trip.

I have been to San Diego where we will be based twice. He has worked out there for 3 months too. However, neither of us really know what its like to live there properly.

I can tell you where the tourist attractions are, I know which shops I prefer and where I like to eat. I don't however have any clue as to what it will cost to eat for a month, who the water provider is or the gas or electric for that matter. I don't know which areas are safe, how to get a work permit or make friends before having a work permit or driving license. It's a learning experience for me.

Its not long until we go. I really should have started this blog when we started the whole process (upon confirmation of the visas) but funnily enough we had other priorities!

Two and a half weeks from now we jump on the plane. The adventure starts there!

No comments:

Post a Comment