Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 September 2011

Thoughts

Move to USA? Easy right?

WRONG!

It looks like it's been an easy journey but really it hasn't.

Back in 2008 it almost happened, then the job got pulled and since then its been a constant battle. In March I gave a time limit. After all, you can't put a time limit on something happening which can be near impossible.

The thing about USA is that you have to have a job to get a visa or be sponsored. There are many different visas and the UK is not part of the Green Card Lottery. If it had been Australia, Canada or New Zealand we could have got to one of those on the points system. Or should I say he could but I would have been eligible to go as a spouse.

Strangely as soon as the time limit was put in place things happened. He got called into the office and asked if he wanted to do a 3 month transfer to San Diego (which he did). Then whilst out there he went for a permanent job, was told of impending redundancy and got offered the permanent job.

When he returned on 2nd July there were many conversations. Whether to go for USA, whether to go for redundancy. Given that it had been something he had been wanting so long you would think it would be an easy decision. However, faced with the decision it's a lot to think about. How many people really would jump and move?

In the end we left it to fate. Went for the visa and decided that whatever happened that day would dictate our future. Basically if the visas got accepted we would go.  Which is what happened.

The time since has been crazy. It's been a real rollercoaster. So much to think about, so much to do and very little time. Seriously, how is it that we are going on Wednesday?

I have experienced EVERY emotion under the sun. Often many at once. Whilst its a great opportunity and we will get to see a lot there are so many what if's running through my head. Yesterday while preparing for the leaving party I was nervous, excited, apprehensive, scared, sad, happy all at once.

I wont miss my Eastleigh, I won't  miss Worthing, I wont miss my flat or my job. It's all my friends and family that I will miss. This past week I have seen so many people. Had the time of my life with them. If only you could pick everyone up and take them with you wherever you went.

Still, I know that I will keep in contact with everyone. I know that when I feel lonely I only have to open my computer and log on and keep in contact with them via facebook, Email and when I have a new laptop (one without the N and G key missing and has a webcam) skype too. Oh and of course there are letters and postcards sent the good old fashioned way.

Fifteen years ago things would have been different. Moving to a whole other country and continent would have meant not having much contact at all with people. Just letters and an occasional phone call at extortionate rates!

I will be coming back for a visit (I am almost certain I will come back for a few weeks in March), also its possible we will come back after a year to 18 months to live. Don't even ask where we will live then. I am torn between two areas an hour and 15 minutes apart. Somewhere in the middle perhaps? Also there is the prospect of many people coming to visit us! I hope so!

I saw a quote the other day which was from Sex and the City. I found it very apt and so I will share:

“After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it’s comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you’re very lucky, a plane ride away."

The people I love will always be in my heart, I will always be in contact with them and yes, they will only be a plane ride away.

To my friends and family. Thank you for being you. For all that you have done, for all the experiences and fantastic memories. I may not be just down the road or contactable by text message but I will be in your computer and just a plane ride away.

Wednesday will be a VERY emotional day indeed for me. I am however strong and I will make a go of this. NO regrets.

xxx


5 comments:

  1. I can't wait until you're here in the States. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the luck in the world Sarah. Lots of love, luck and best wishes. Take care sweetie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free to pass the link on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck sarah and marcus maybe one day i could visit you xxxx

    ReplyDelete